Friday, July 23, 2010

Product Integration

I thought I'd use my off day to do a little shameless plug for my new favorite product.


The Blender Bottle is a simple, yet genius invention.  As a person who loves smoothies but hates doing dishes, there aren't too many better options out there.  Seriously, are there any dishes more irrtating and difficult to clean than blenders?  As one of those crazy freaks who has to wash all the leftover food off of the dish in the sink before placing it in the dishwasher, it has always been my #1 concern that I would one day slice my finger in half on one of the blades.  Or I just don't know how to clean my blender, but anyway...

Basically a Blender Bottle is just a dishwasher-safe plastic bottle with a screw on cap (that is NOT annoyingly attached to the bottle like on Nalgenes), with a wire ball inside resembling a whisk.  Just throw in your components and shake.  It's that easy.  AND, it doesn't leave backwash--you know those last few milileters of liquid that are impossible to get from the bottom due to the flat cylindrical top of a Nalgene?  That = DEATH (or at least a wet t-shirt) in a car if you're trying to drive and finish off a beverage at the same time.  Nalgenes are so stupid.  >:o(

Blender Bottles are great for things like yogurt smoothies (unfortunately the ball doesn't puree fruit), protein shakes, and even for batters like pancake mix or eggs.  I have two of them--one at work and one at home--and I primarily use them for breakfasts and an after-run protein shake to aide in muscle recovery.

For a pretty good breakfast at just 200 calories, try a yogurt smoothie:
- 6oz of your favorite light seedless yogurt = 100 calories
-1/2 cup fat-free milk = 45 calories
-1/2 cup fruit juice = 5 calories (I prefer diet V8 Splash tropical blend.  It's only 10 calories/cup).
-1 serving of vanilla protein powder = 50 calories (I use Biggest Loser Protein by Designer Whey.  The other brands often contain 100 calories/serving.  It's only slightly more expensive.)
-Just throw all of the ingredients in the bottle, shake, and drink on your way to work.

If I eat dinner early and run later, I typically like to drink a shake after I get back from the run.  I have a major sweet tooth, and sometimes it's hard to say no to dessert.  Just straight up chocolate protein powder and water do it for me, but sometimes I'll add 1 tablespoon of peanut butter, which adds a bit more protein and thickness to the shake.

More recipes are available on the recipe page of the Blender Bottle website.  The bottles typically run for about $8.99 at GNC stores, but I bought one of mine online from Amazon.com for $4.99+shipping (so it was about the same price).  It's totally worth it and if you're into counting calories or you want an easy breakfast, I definitely suggest you purchase one of these.

No comments:

Post a Comment