Saturday, July 31, 2010

Mind over Matter

It always feels good to complete an intimidating task.  Personal achievements always mean more to us when they involve a risk or effort that pushes us beyond what we believe to be possible for ourselves.  It makes sense that these moments are logged in our memories because they redefine our perception of our capabilities.  Once finished, we can no longer say to ourselves "I can't do that."

I must admit I haven't attempted very many projects that were all that intimidating.  As I mentioned in my first post, I tend to look for ways to cut corners or find a host to parasite off of (lol).  I felt that way about college while I was in it.  I've never liked to study or do homework, and my tests scores often reflected my efforts (or lack of efforts).  But when it came to walking across that stage and receiving my diploma, that day will forever be stamped in my mind.  College is over.  I have my degree, and I don't have to go back.  But if I ever do (please no.  NO!), I know I can finish it.  But I don't want to.  I don't even want to talk about it.  =D

Ten miles is a big deal for me.  Before I started training for this marathon, the furthest I had ever run was six miles, and that was forced on me during a soccer practice.  I've walked up to twenty (due to my irrational distaste for buses) in San Francisco...and that was crazy.  I wouldn't do that again.  Completing double-digit miles for running serves as a huge confidence boost for me.  I know it's still not even half of the race in October, but I now know for sure that even when I'm tired or I lose motivation, I have the capability to know that a lot of running this race is mind over matter.  Of course it is important to listen to one's body, but there shouldn't be a problem if adequately prepared through training.

It was a great run today!  Low 70's, cloudy.  No mosquitoes!  Things were fine until about the last mile and a half.  I really started to fade running up the hill between Fuller and Observatory.  I probably could have finished a minute or two earlier had it not been for waiting at all of the stoplights.  Running in the city is fun, but the times don't really portray actual running time.

Three mile runs are over.  My "short runs" are now at four miles, and my mediums are at five.  I progress to eleven miles next Saturday.

1 comment:

  1. Great job Bryce! I am sure it feels good to have that done and over with.

    ReplyDelete