Thursday, July 29, 2010

If you love it so much, why don't you marry it?



First off, I want to say thank you to those of you who are reading and commenting!  It's great to know that people are reading, and that this isn't just for me.  This is an exciting time in my life, and I'm glad that I can share it with you!  So here goes...

In my quest towards healthy eating, I have tried a lot of bad recipes and gross new "health foods," which have done everything to my body except for make me want to ever eat them again.  I also somehow managed to resist the yuppie Ann Arbor culture and have stayed out of both Whole Foods and Trader Joe's.  Meijer all the way, peeps.  It doesn't get any better.  Shut up haters.

I've basically always despised vegetables, and I feel like I'm chewing on a tree when I eat a salad.  To me, there's really no difference between the leaves on the maple tree outside my apartment and the leaf of lettuce that comes out of your refrigerator.  In my mouth, they taste the same.  And I'm pretty sure if you gave a rabbit one of each, it would eat them both.

But one health food that I have (surprisingly) come to LOVE is grilled asparagus.  I go through asparagus the same way that Chris Farley goes through those fries (I love this video...one of the best skits ever).  Asparagus goes well with chicken, pork, salmon...any of the meats that I cook out on the grill.


Asparagus is good for the heart and is high in vitamin K and Folate, which is beneficial for blood and bones.  Lately I've been cooking on Mondays and eating leftovers for the rest of the week.  Although the vegetables aren't the best re-heated, when mixed into a sort of stir-fry the mushiness can be hidden by the texture of the meat.   My usual has been to create a packet out of foil, and put 10-12 asparagus inside with chopped up zucchini and summer squash.  I usually crush a couple of garlic cloves and mix that in with a little bit of olive oil and spread all over the veggies.  Then just throw the foil packet on the grill next to the fillets of (insert meat here), and take off a little before the meat.  It works great and tastes SO good!

My 3-mile run went well tonight.  One of my faster times, and no dogs!  I do like dogs--just not ones that try to eat me.  I'm resting up tomorrow for the big 10-mile on Saturday.  I'm sure I'll have a pretty detailed report of how it goes. ;-)

2 comments:

  1. B-rice: first, i really love reading your blog! it makes me feel motivated to get out and run..which is what i'm trying to do more of without screwing up my ankle again. I miss my 6 mile runs!! Nothing compared to your 10mi. or your marathon!! flippin A congratulations! so impressed your totally gearing up for this. Plus, I am also impressed with your skills grilling and eating veggies. Asparagus is MI's seasonal summer veggie so kudos to you. However, I'm afraid of what your bathroom smells like due to the veggie's way of breaking down in your body....and urine ;P hahaahah. Anyhoo keep on keepin on! *oh, and of course extra props for the SNL skit! love the classics.

    ReplyDelete