Saturday, July 24, 2010

Hydration

I don't claim to know the science or physiology behind our bodies and what happens to them when we exercise.  My specialty is in plants, which work a little bit differently than mobile organisms.  But one thing I do know is that it is extremely important to be well-hydrated for a run--especially an 8-mile run.

I have to admit even though I know it's important, I often shrug it off.  I completed my 8-mile run this evening (which is further than I've ever done at once), and I was definitely feeling it.  I planned to run this morning, but due to the rain I postponed it to later in the day.  So, naturally, I allowed myself to drink two cups of coffee this morning.  Not smart.  I knew that the 12oz bottle of Gatorade wouldn't be enough, and I was definitely correct.  I've found that I don't have a problem when running after work, where I drink over 32oz of water in an 8-hour period.  

The run tonight was rough.  It was too hot and humid, an evil German Shepherd tried to attack me (I have no faith in those invisible fences), and I didn't really enjoy the route I took.  I need to make sure I'm more prepared for my 10-mile run next Saturday!

2 comments:

  1. i'm excited to see someone training and blogging about it!! my goal is to run a marathon before i turn 30.... i was going to start out with a 5k but skipped that and went to 10k instead :-p what plan are you using?
    I'm trying to find something that will let me get some biking in, too... haha.. because my friend is letting me borrow his sweeet bike. and because my hip doesnt like it when i run. boo.

    anyway, keep it up~

    ~Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bryce! I am sooo proud of you for doing this! Love your blog--I'm going to add it to my Google Reader so I don't miss your updates :)

    ReplyDelete