Thursday, August 5, 2010

Unrequited Love


*Sigh*

One of the benefits of running in Suburbia is the concept of Lawn Competitivity.  I made that up.  Competitiveness?  No.  There's a right way to say it, but I just can't come up with it.  Anyways, Lawn Comp...etition.  People use sprinklers so they can have soft green grass and show up the neighbor who hasn't mowed for a century and is basically hosting a bee colony in their front yard because of all the weeds.

As a runner, the sight of a full-powered geyser visible further up the road can be compared to stumbling upon an an oasis after staggering through the Sahara Desert.  It's like the equivalent of seeing a loved-one after months of being apart--you want to run up to it and hug it.  Well I'm about to tell you a sad story about a man whose love of sprinklers was not returned.

Tonight I was doing one of my 4-mile routes.  It covers two subdivisions behind my apartment, both of which are full of Yuppies with lots of money, evil German Shepherds, and well-manicured lawns.  Considering the temperature, I was hoping to come across a sprinkler or five to keep me cool and comfortable.  Well, things got weird.

It's like these people were deliberately TRYING to deprive me of the refreshing goodness that comes from running through a sprinkler.  Not once, not twice, but THREE TIMES I ran joyously up to a sprinkler to have it shut off less than a second before I could partake.  Yes.  Partake.  Now I'm not into conspiracy theories, but it was like these vindictive people were all on the phone saying "let's mess with this guy."  Oh Sprinkler, why doest thou deny me?  POR QUE?!

So I was grumpy when I got home.  I had a decent time (though they aren't improving much).  I've been struggling this week.  I haven't felt good during the work-out...it almost feels like I'm pulling a truck behind me or something.  I just feel...heavy.  I compromised and did a short run last night (hence the lack of a blog for yesterday) because it was late and I was feeling sluggish.  Hopefully that decisions doesn't have adverse effects for the eleven miles due on Saturday.

1 comment:

  1. here is some motivation B-rice. even though you don't fight/train MMA, i like this commercial and the fighter, George St. Peirre. :)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REbJXO9DnTI&feature=related

    ReplyDelete