Tuesday, August 10, 2010

OKC

Greetings from HOT Oklahoma!  I got in last night around 10:00PM, so I didn't have a chance to run yesterday.  I'm pretty sure I got in a couple of miles of walking in the Atlanta airport though, because my plane was delayed for a while.  I walked four of terminals, so it may have even been longer.  Who would have thought that the Atlanta airport would have a Villa Pizza?  Random flashback to MSU cafeterias.

Anyways, onto the running-in-travel-status experience.  It was roughly 101F today in OKC.  Woof.  Running outside is not going to happen here.  I had grilled chicken and green beans at Earl's and had a really good discussion with one of our trainers who just finished her first marathon a few months ago.  It's always good to talk with people who have already completed a race to get advice and hear things from their perspective. 

I ran five miles on a treadmill in the fitness center of the hotel, which took a lot out of me.  I don't know how to run on a treadmill.  I find the pacing hard to figure out, and I feel like I'm running against a clock instead of what comes naturally to me.  It also just feels like the run will never end because I can't help myself from constantly looking at the clock and the mile-counter as it clicks by .01 miles at a time.  It's killer. But I did it, and I will do it again tomorrow. 

Everything is thrown off this week due to all of this travel.  This was supposed to be a 4-6-4-12 week, and it's turning into a 5-5-12 week with the 12-mile scheduled for Friday night after I get home from Oklahoma City.  I'm going to Chicago with some friends on Saturday, so I won't have time to run in the morning.  I guess it just goes to show that even when you can't keep a concrete routine, one still must remain disciplined and make the time necessary to complete the objective.  

No comments:

Post a Comment