Thursday, January 13, 2011

Hula Hoops Are Not My Thing

Over the weekend I spent some time with good friends Chelsea and Shelly, mostly messing around with a Wii and shedding most of my dignity.  Over the course of the evening, I discovered that I don't have great balance and apparently cannot swing my hips.  DEATH-TO-HULA.  From what I've been told, the upper-half of my body was doing all the hula-ing.  Put the thing around my neck, I'd probably be fine.  The evening was a success, however, because no one fell down the stairs and all of the tripping over the dog didn't break any bones.

I've written about it before, but balance is important in every aspect of our lives.  Within our mental, physical, emotional, and spiritual states...does anyone ever want to admit that they're unbalanced in any of those?  I must admit that I struggled the find the balance in my priorities, and often things turn to chaos because what I want to do at the time may not be the best decision. 


This morning I woke up at 5:00AM to start my new workout schedule.  I had the gym to myself, which was great as I tend to be a bit self-conscious when lifting weights and pushing all of the buttons on the treadmill.  Let's face it people, I really have no idea what I'm doing.  Why is every treadmill different?  They shouldn't be that complicated.

Anyways, I realized how out of shape I was when I finished one mile and that was all I wanted to do.  I did 50 lunges and started lifting...and then almost barfed.  Pathetic.  I've never been good in the morning with anything.  Ever.  And it's safe to assume that will be the case in the future as well.

So as I run from one side of the seesaw to the other (or in Wii terms, stay on that dang tightrope) trying to find the balance between work, fitness, social life,etc., I have confidence I will figure out a solid exercise schedule that will not be interrupted by near-vomiting.  But I can guarantee it won't be at five in the morning.

While you're reading blogs, why not check out Chelsea's thoughts on her intriguing New Years Resolution?  Her blog is located at http://theaveragelifeofatwentysomething.blogspot.com/.

2 comments:

  1. http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=856021109895

    Here is evidence

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go Bryce! :) The second day is always the hardest. I hope you're sticking with it. Best of luck to you. I am going to the gym now about 5 days a week. So far so good! I hear you about balance...sometimes the line we're walking gets pretty narrow and even seems to vanish in places. It's a constant intentional effort to maintain balance.

    ReplyDelete