Thursday, June 16, 2011

#NavigationFail

Some days, the focus is just not there.  There are times when you spend 20 minutes mapping out a route on MapMyRun.com, and then you get out there on the street and totally forget it.  Those days often result in shorter runs, because you're thinking "I don't know where this goes, I should turn around."  Well, friends... the opposite happened to me yesterday.

Ann Arbor's Transportation Department must have been, like many people in Ann Arbor, a little... distracted when they put together the road system.  And by distracted, I mean high out of their minds and goofing around at Taco Bell at 2 in the morning.  There are intersections in this town where four different roads come together...sometimes five

Yesterday after work, I mapped out a nice three mile jog through a scenic neighborhood with huge oaks and it was supposed to be pleasant.  And it was!  And then I realized I was at Gallup Park, which is a good 3 miles from my house.  Somewhere along the way, I missed my turn and just kept going.

Now you say, "You got a great workout!"  And while that might be true, I'm in no shape to be running six miles.  I thought I was going to die by the end of it.  And I would have stopped to walk, but I had reservations for Restaurant Week downtown, and any Ann Arbor resident knows that this is an important bi-yearly event that cannot be missed.  So I ran, and ran, and ran.  All for the love of Italian pasta and belgian waffles (?).  Waffles with ice cream--surprisingly delicious.  So in total I ended up running about 6.2 miles, instead of 3.  And now I have no excuse for complaining about three miles.  The lesson to be learned here is to always check the map before running, even if you feel like you know it.

Overall things have been progressing nicely in the fitness department.  I've been running pretty consistently, I joined a gym (that I have actually been to), and I've set an appointment with a trainer for next week.  Someone needs to show me how to work out, because I feel like a n00b in the gym.  I don't even know where to start.  I'm going to try and update this blog more often.  I miss the writing.

Have a great day, and happy running!

1 comment:

  1. Oh sad. Well, now 3 miles will seem like a short jaunt. :) How was dinner? Hopefully it was worth it.

    ReplyDelete